Cath Walsh reports back on The Other’s first year:
This is the first annual general meeting of The Other Great Exhibition of the North, we have had a very productive and busy first year. We have had many open planning meetings encouraging people to participate and contribute to the group, we also feed back to the group what we ourselves have been working on in our personal practice and linking it to the group creating support and understanding for one another. We have asked supporters to organise and deliver their own events in places they carry out their practice in order to widen the audience we as a group come into contact with and this is creating new interest throughout the northeast and beyond. We have had some good exposure with some of our key members being interviewed by BBC Look North and articles in Narc and other publications. Our official launch as a group was Friday 22nd June 2018, we paraded down Northumberland street, Newcastle and gathered in the square outside the Laing Art gallery where we had performances, speakers and handed out leaflets to people who were interested in our group. This was a successful event that launched our group and its campaign, our manifesto is available for anyone to browse along with notes on our events and diary throughout the year. We have secured the support of the trade unions with Artist Union England and the Musicians Union agreeing The Other Exhibition of the North was a group of importance.
Some of our events included a Ceilidh dance and hot supper, mixed media workshop, taking part in the big draw, comedy night, drink and draw, live jazz in Sunderland, Newcastle Unites Unity festival, all these events were hugely successful and well attended and created some revenue for the group to use on costs admin etc as well as giving some local artists money to organise and deliver their own event within the guidelines of our group.
Official launch June 22nd 2018
- Article in the NARC & Morning Star & Culture Matters
- Social media – twitter/facebook/Instagram
- Raised money from crowd funding, Seedbed Tyneside & trade union support.
- Trade union support from MU, AUE and financial support from Newcastle Trades Council & Northumbria UCU.
- Meetings in Sunderland, Newcastle & Middlesbrough
- Call outs to get community groups & individuals involved using website as a platform.
- BBC North East interview
- Future of the Arts Conference London (SERTUC)
- Turbulent Times – pop exhibition WEA & Jude Murphy Northumberland
- Ouseburn Festival Weekend – counter culture posters with young women & girls from West End of Newcastle Newcastle
- Music & Comedy Night – Blackfriars, Ouseburn Newcastle
- OpenMinded collaboration – Burning Questions discussion Newcastle.
- System Gallery collaboration – Newcastle
- Exhibition 36 Lime St Newcastle
- Drink & Draw at Tyneside Irish Centre Newcastle
- Redhills / Zine group – Durham
- Ceilidh band – Berking Mad
- Jazz night Sunderland
- Newcastle Unity Carnival
- Experimental printmaking, Sunderland.
- Creative writing project with young women in West End Newcastle
- Stall at Northern TUC Conference
- Creative writing & Mixed media workshop – al-Mutanabbi Newcastle
- Durham zine group
- Carnegie 100: The Philanthropic Act, Sunderland – article in the Echo & recorded on you tube
- Support for DGA Collective
- Sub-culture group Newcastle Trades Council
- AUE Motion to Northern TUC Conference March 2019 – Creative working group Northern TUC.
Minutes of Meeting & Accounts can be found HERE.